......................

nearly living in the city, not quite living in the country

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Never judge a book

So, back to our hotel...



It looked pretty spiffy. But, as you might have noticed, I have not supplied a picture of the room. That's because it was literally a bed with a sheet on it, an ancient mini fridge, a patio chair and an old-school tv on a rickety table. I think there was a tv mounted to the wall at some point, but it fell off. Oh yeah, and the door to the room was of the same construction as the door to the closet in the room - it had a teensy lock that really served no purpose other than to keep the door closed. I say door, but what I really mean is screen/room divider. The saving grace was a/c, at least it had that. It wasn't on yet, so it was painfully hot and humid in the room. The husband was not impressed or amused. I don't think it helped that I hadn't stopped giggling at the situation (come on, this NEVER happens to us!) and his annoyance.

Personally, I could care less about the hotel. It was clean and relatively cheap given the circumstances. I'm really only bringing this up because the hotel isn't on Tripadvisor, so I couldn't write a review.

On a sidenote, the husband is crazy about reviews. Case in point, about three years ago he says "we need a fan." Ok, I have an Amazon.com credit of $25, so I pick out a fan within my $25 budget. I mean, it's free, so whatever. Fan comes, we turn it on, it works, we're good. Nay, we are not good. I am still berated to this day for not vetting my fan purchase. So the fan isn't great, but it works, it circulates air. BTW, here's the fan. And BTW, it does suck.

Back in reality, we had about two seconds to change - somehow the husband managed to get in a shower, which he complained about endlessly - then we trekked over to the "wedding" hotel to make our way with the rest of the group to the rehearsal dinner. There was no actual rehearsal (similar to our wedding), so it was really just a pre-party.

Here's where the "dinner" took place -

Nice...




Can you see where this is going?



...a galleon ship.


We had interpreted the invitation wording "rehearsal dinner" and "cruise" as "fancy schmancy hors d'oeuvres" and "yacht." We were both SUPER excited when we found out that the Phantom took it to the next level.

Pirates.




This pirate was in a bit of a hurry, but you get the idea.


TOTALLY unexpected, but really fun. And we got some great views of the newer areas of the city (we stayed in the "old city," which means within the fortified walls, the "new city" is a bunch of beach-front resorts, high rise hotels and offices).

I'm really proud of this picture, thank you trusty Canon Powershot, mostly because I took it in the pitch black on an unstable galleon ship.



At this point we had been in Cartagena for, oh, 5 hours. I love vacation.


P.S. Happy birthday to my husband.

We laugh together...

(is that guy flying in a beach chair?! He seriously had a fan propeller strapped to the back of it)


and laugh (cue seagull eating rotten fish head)...

...and laugh.

Yes, that is mule dung and a mule peeing. I'm glad we weren't the only ones who saw the humor in the situation.

I love you! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment